| Topic: Benefits of AI | |
|---|---|
|
I first of all want to say that I'm reluctant about AI myself.
I know there are risks and it is something to be careful with. Movies about this haven't been made for nothing, for decades on end. It's a valid scare, possible threat. But... there are also advantages to it. We can also use it for good. For instance I had a problem with my cleaning lady. The way it went, how she reacted and what she'd said, got me in overwhelm. I'm a smart girl, know a lot about psychology and so on, but when I'm in overwhelm it's as if my brain short-circuits. And I had to have a conversation with her which doesn't work that way. I will just get emotional and with that possibly offend her, only making matters worse. I decided to ask a free AI. I typed in exactly what had happened, what she'd said, and what I'd said. The reply was very good but it came up with something that made me explain the whole back story as it wasn't the first time the cleaning lady and I had a problem. Then AI's reply became even more in depth and fine-tuned. It got me out of my overwhelm and emotional reaction of "You biotch, I'm right and you crossed my boundary!!" AI suggested a message which I sent, changed it a tiny bit only. Her reaction... Totally positive and happy! So now the problem is solved and even better, she will now come on a different day that better suits me?! She offered herself. Wowza! Normally speaking I could've seen all the things AI pointed out to me, but when in emotional overwhelm this isn't possible. I feel it's great to be able to use AI in such instances. I am now no longer in stress while I've been stressing about this for a few days. You still gotta use your own common sense of course. Not make yourself totally dependent on any AI. Like I heard a story about a woman who was in a love relationship with an AI programme? You effing kidding me? That's sick! It had a name (given by her) and bought her presents (she'd given it access to her bank account). Maybe we need new laws to stop such things from happening as it's insane. |
|
|
|
|
|
The benefits to AI do not outweigh the risk.
People will lose the ability to think for themselves, in the same way we don't remember phone numbers like we did when we were kids. Relying on our phone to remember for us. Jobs will be replaced The arts will be corrupt And weirdos will be "in love" with their robots AI will guide people the way it was programmed to, and those eggheads that programmed it are just as fallible as anyone. I can't think of any benefit that cannot be replaced by regular, simple, human ingenuity. |
|
|
|
|
|
AIs can provide helpful or hurtful advice, it's all the same to them. The reason the Isaac Asimov's three laws don't work is that AIs don't know what a human is or what harm is, and they will never know. Current AIs just juggle words, and have no understanding of their meaning. Driverless vehicles are a gimmick now, but they will be lethal. Fun will become terror when people are driven at 70 mph by a machine.
|
|
|
|
|
|
Flown in a commercial airplane lately Don?
Airliners are no longer flown by "stick and rudder" pilots but by computers. "Most" of the time it's perfectly safe. |
|
|
|
|
|
I'm avoiding AIs, but the ones I have seen mostly warn that they make mistakes. When a plane flies in a high way it's mostly safe, but when a car hits the highway the highway can hit back. Remember George Zip!
|
|
|
|
|
|
Google the crashes caused by the Boeing MCAS system.
|
|
|
|
|
|
Broadly speaking, computers are decision-making tools whereas AIs are replacements for people. The Boeing MCAS system crashes makes my point about the danger of replacing people with AIs. Planes are relatively safe in the air, given their computers, pilots, traffic controllers and the space around them. This is very different from my point about high-speed vehicles on public roads with no one driving them.
|
|
|
|
|
|
Flown in a commercial airplane lately Don? Airliners are no longer flown by "stick and rudder" pilots but by computers. "Most" of the time it's perfectly safe. It could indeed be safer than having a human flying. People can get fatigued, pilot who's been up half the night partying in Bangkok. People can get distracted & certain things can disorient pilots. Crashes have happened due to the latter. Can't remember from the top of my head what it was exactly, but it happened to a plane somewhere near Greece or on the way to Greece. Something to do with specific bad weather and flying in the dark. |
|
|
|
|
|
Lots of drama brought to a happy topic.
AI won't go away. We just have to sift and sort and use it for what isn't or can't easily be problematic. But if you're against it and want it gone... I suppose that means getting rid of PCs and internet and mobile phones and so on. And Goddess knows what else it's used for these days. Drones, weapons, satellites? Progress always holds certain dangers within it. But if we don't progress we'd still be living in caves, eating raw meat & berries, dress in animal skins and probably die before we're 25. If I think what some generation went through concerning progress... My granddad was born in 1898. Go figure what he saw come and go?! Airplanes, automobiles, radio, electricity, running water, tv, telephone, sewer systems, and so on. He lived to be well in his 80s :) He just poured himself a stiff drink on Sunday's after church, haha. I'm never one to embrace the new right away either, I am a little suspicious I guess. But danged if I become like my dad who resisted every new thing, like a coffee machine, stubbornly continuing to make coffee in a pot on the cooker for Goddess knows how long. We were the last ones in the neighbourhood to get colour tv, a fridge & freezer and so on. You gotta dare live and go with the flow at least a bit! Who cares that we don't remember phone numbers anymore. We remember tons of other things these days. Things that are crucial today. We live now, not in the 70s! |
|
|
|
|
|
The point was dependency. The brain is like a muscle, and if you are letting AI think for you, you will be weaker than had you used your brain.
What are you remembering? Nothing new! The skills you possess were acquired long ago. Your grocery list is probably on you phone too! Convenience comes with a price |
|
|
|
|